UNM-NMSU Cooperative Pharmacy Program
Click here for the 2017 UNM-NMSU Application
Deadline to apply is January 15, 2017
- Additionally, students must apply and be admitted to NMSU before March 1 each year,
and indicate Pre-pharmacy as their choice of interest on the NMSU application.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The UNM/NMSU Cooperative Pharmacy Program (CPP) is designed to increase the number of pharmacy students from southern New Mexico and ultimately the number of pharmacists practicing in the area. Students selected during their senior year in high school will complete the pre-pharmacy coursework (91-92 semester hours over three years) at New Mexico State University (NMSU), and then enter the University of New Mexico (UNM) College of Pharmacy for the didactic phase (three years) of the PharmD curriculum. CPP students will also spend the summers following their first and second years of the NMSU phase, as well as the fourth and final year of UNM pharmacy school, participating in pharmacy practice experiences in southern areas of New Mexico. Additionally, UNM/NMSU CPP students and interested NMSU pre-pharmacy students will become members of the NMSU Pre-Pharmacy Society (PPS), which meets the first Tuesday evening of each month during the fall and spring semesters. The society provides members with information, resources and opportunities to facilitate understanding of professional pharmacy roles. The PPS also helps students plan and prepare for the application process and/or admission to the UNM College of Pharmacy or other pharmacy schools. The Pre-Pharmacy Society promotes professional development with leadership and networking opportunities, academic support and community involvement. Click here for more information about the NMSU Pre-Pharmacy Society.
The program is open to high school seniors who meet the following criteria:
- Attends high school in any of the following counties: Catron, Chaves, Cibola, Curry, DeBaca, Doña Ana, Eddy, Grant, Guadalupe, Hidalgo, Lea, Lincoln, Luna, Otero, Quay, Roosevelt, Sierra, Socorro, Torrance and Valencia
- Will be attending NMSU main campus (Las Cruces) for pre-pharmacy coursework and complete courses within three years
- Have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.5 or higher (4.0 scale) in English, Math, Social Studies, Science and foreign language classes at the end of their junior year of high school
- Have earned a competitive ACT score
- Completion of the following high school academic classes at the conclusion of their senior year: Mathematics (3 years); English (4 years); Science (3 years)
- U.S. Citizen or legal U.S. permanent resident
- Have an interest in pursuing pharmacy as a career
Selection to the program is a competitive process and requires separate applications to both NMSU and the UNM College of Pharmacy. Click on the application pdf file below, print and follow the directions carefully.
UNM-NMSU Cooperative Pharmacy Program APPLICATION for 2017
2017 UNM/NMSU Application – deadline to apply is January 15, 2017
- Student must apply and be admitted to NMSU before March 1 each year, and indicate Pre-pharmacy as their choice of interest on the NMSU application.
Still wondering if pharmacy is the right career choice for you? Click here > Roadmap to Pharmacy to download a brochure put out by the Pharmacy is Right for Me organization. It might help to answer some questions you have about pharmacy. You can also visit their website at: www.pharmacyforme.org. But if you would like to talk to us personally, fill out the form under the link Contact Us, call the office for an appointment, or email us using one of the addresses below.
- Amy S. Buesing, MBA, RPh – Director at New Mexico State University – email@example.com – 575-646-7529
- Traci M. White, PharmD, PhC – Assistant Director – firstname.lastname@example.org – 575-646-7529
- Deb Franzoy, MA – Program Specialist – email@example.com – 575-646-7529